How to choose the right new car
Choosing the right new car can be challenging. With so many models to choose from and features to consider, it can be difficult to decide on the right vehicle for your personal circumstances.
At Cartelligent, we help thousands of clients every year, narrow their choices and select their perfect new car. We've put together a list of questions to ask yourself in order to help narrow and focus your search.
How will you use your new vehicle?
Looking at how your vehicle will be used can help you decide how much seating and cargo space you will require.
- Will you use the car for weekend getaways or family road trips?
- Do you need room for bikes, skis or equipment?
- Will kids or dogs be in the car regularly?
- Do you carpool to work or pick up clients for meetings?
Is fuel efficiency a priority for you?
Fuel efficiency can be a deciding factor for many drivers, especially those who have substantial commutes.
- How many miles do you drive regularly?
- Are you willing to drive a car that requires premium grade fuel?
- Will it shorten your commute if you can qualify for a carpool lane sticker?
- How important is it to you to drive a clean diesel, hybrid, plug-in hybrid, or electric vehicle?
- Are you willing to trade performance or cargo space for fuel efficiency?
What features will benefit you most?
Deciding which features are must-have can help you eliminate vehicles that don't offer those options.
- Is a backup camera, blind spot detection or crash prevention system on your must-have list?
- Do you want Apple CarPlay or Android Auto in your new car?
- Is a panoramic sunroof or in-car WiFi important to you?
- What other features are on your must-have list?
Your Cartelligent agent can discuss these requirements with you and help you narrow down your list to a manageable number.
How much are you willing to spend?
Many consumers tend to focus on a single number such as the price of the vehicle or the monthly payment instead of looking at the entirety of the deal.
- Vehicle price: How much are you willing to pay for the vehicle itself?
- Down payment: What amount do you want to pay when you pick up the new car?
- Monthly payment: How much are you willing to spend each month for the car?
- Leasing/Financing charges: How much will you pay in interest and other charges during the time you drive the car?
- Trade-In: How much is your current car actually worth?
- Aftermarket products: Which aftermarket products will benefit you and which will not?
Your Cartelligent agent can help you understand each aspect of the price and make sure that the deal as a whole is a fair price for the car.